Monday - week 11

Nye started his day off with an Oak Academy maths lesson:


Alexa told him what an integer is. 
I asked Nye is he knew what a plumb line was. He didn't. We looked it up. Nye explained it really well verbally and then drew a picture to show he understands:



After that he was 'bored' so I told him to grab one of his DK encyclopedias, flick through the pages randomly and learn something he didn't already know. He asked me for a number. I gave him 252.
Nye chose this encyclopedia:


This is what Nye found on page 252:


It gave us an idea. We'd been interested by the project set for year 7 pupils at his soon-to-be secondary school, posted on their website:


We found the right location on the globe, grabbed a few books and got started. I asked Nye to find at least 3 plants, 3 ocean creatures/fish and 3 land animals which would inhabit his new island.


Nia wanted to do some artwork. We set up a table in the garden so she could use her airbrush machine in the sunshine:

She did a fabulous job!


Then Nia turned it into a card for me 😍


A maths task Nia completed:


And some writing she did completely unassisted (I asked her which animals she would like to see if she had her own island). Parrot, chameleon, lion, zebra, turtle 😊:


Nye has been fabulous at practising number bonds with Nia. She is now very fast at recalling which digits go together to make 10, and she's doing great with number bonds to 20 too.

Nye completed a great list of plants and exotic wildlife for his island (cameras are not allowed near the list 😝). I can reveal it features whale sharks, bio-luminescent plankton and Armadillo lizards:



Comments